Statewide Commission on Recycling Markets and Curbside Recycling
Public Notice and Agenda
Date: August 5, 2020
Time: 8:30 – 12:30 PM
Webcast: Public Meeting Live Webcasts
Public Comment Portal
1. 8:30 am (5 min) Call to Order, Roll Call, and Establishment of Quorum
Formal proceedings to bring Commission to order.
2. 8:35 am (15 min) Public Comment Review - Items Not on the Agenda
At this time, any member of the public may address the Commission on matters not listed on this agenda. Participants are encouraged to reserve their comments for regular matters listed on this agenda for the time the item is considered by the Commission. Please note that no discussion or action may be taken on any item that is not listed on the agenda.
3. 8:50 am (15 min) Discussion and Response to Previous Public Comments
Commission may discuss public comments from Committees:
· Evan Edgar – Senate Bill 1383, Organics Committee
· Frank Ferral – Greater Stockton Chamber of Commerce’s Green Team San Joaquin,
Market Development Committee
· Caren McNamara – Refillables, Market Development Committee
· American Forest and Paper Association – Paper Recycling, Recycling Committee
· Steve Alexander – Association of Plastic Recyclers, Plastic Recycling,
· John Hewitt – Consumer Brands Association, Packaging and Sustainability, Recycling Committee
4. 9:05 am (10 min) Review and Potential Approval of Meeting Notes
The Commission will review and potentially approve meeting notes from July 15, 2020.
5. 9:15 am (10 min) Solicitation of Expanded Public Proposals
The Commission will solicit public input regarding the Commission’s policy recommendations to the Legislature.
6. 9:25 am (20 mins) Committee Guiding Principles Discussion
Discussion of the Committee guiding principles and adoption of the guiding principles.
7. 9:45 am Break (5 min)
8. 9:50 am (60 min) Committee Reports
The Committees will provide a summary of previous meetings.
9. 10:50 am (10 min) Potential Review and Approval of Changes to Charter
The Commission may review and revise the Charter, including potential approval of changes.
10. Break (5 min)
11. 11:05 am (40 min) Review and Discussion of Pending and Proposed Legislation Relating to Commission’s Mandate Under Public Resources Code Section 42005.5.
Commissioners may discuss current bills related to recycling and waste management. A description of the legislation to be considered will be provided before the meeting.
12. 11:45 am (30 min.) Discussion of Scheduling and Process for Reporting to the Legislature (Continued from the July 15, 2020 Commission meeting Agenda, Item# 9.)
The Commission chair and vice-chair will make a presentation regarding the extent and reporting frequency of the Commission’s policy recommendations to the Legislature pursuant to Public Resources Code section 42005.5.
13. 12:15 pm (15 min.) Agenda Items for Future Meetings
Discussion on future agenda items, including extending an invitation to producers and brand owners for input.
14. 12:25 pm (5 min) Meeting Summary and Closing
Closing remarks and summary of goals achieved during the first meeting.
For further information about this meeting, please contact Audrey Vorametsanti at email@example.com, (916) 323-0034, or 801 K Street, Mailstop 17-01, Sacramento, CA 95814.
Discussion and action may be taken on any item on the Commission meeting agenda. This notice and agenda, and any available meeting minutes and materials, can be found on the Statewide Commission on Recycling Markets and Curbside Recycling webpage. The time and order of agenda items are approximate and subject to change at the discretion of CalRecycle and the Commission Chair to facilitate the effective transaction of business.
Under Government Code section 11123(a), all meetings of a state body are open and public, and all persons are permitted to attend any meeting of a state body, except as otherwise provided in that article.
Pursuant to Executive Order N-29-20, certain provisions of the Bagley Keene Open Meeting Act are suspended due to a State of Emergency in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Consistent with the Executive Order, this Commission meeting will be conducted by teleconference only. None of the locations from which Commissioners will participate will be open to the public. The public may observe the meeting via live webcast online by accessing the meeting link at Public Meeting Live Webcasts.
Members of the public who wish to comment during the meeting may do so using the Commission’s public participation portal found at Public Comment Portal. When using the Public Comment Portal, please select “Workshop” from the initial drop-down menu. During the live webcast, CalRecycle or the Commission Chair, at their discretion, will apportion available time among those who wish to have their comments read aloud during the meeting. It should be noted that, the Commission will be unable to take any action on matters received from the public that have not been placed on the agenda. The Commission will, however, determine whether action on such matters should be scheduled on a future agenda.
Persons who, due to a disability, need assistance in order to participate in this meeting should, prior to the meeting, contact Audrey Vorametsanti at (916) 323-0034 (voice), firstname.lastname@example.org (e-mail). TTY/TDD and Speech-to-Speech users may dial 7-1-1 for the California Relay Service to submit comments on an agenda item or to request special accommodations for persons with disabilities.