Labeling & Media Committee of the Statewide Commission on Recycling Markets and Curbside Recycling
Public Notice and Agenda
Date: August 20, 2020
Time: 9:00am - 11:00am
Webcast: Public Meeting Live Webcasts
Public Comment Portal
1. 9:00 am (5 min) Call to Order, Roll Call, and Establishment of Quorum – Chair
Formal proceedings to bring Committee to order.
2. 9:05 am (10 min) Public Comment Review – Items Not on the Agenda – Chair
At this time, any member of the public may address the Committee on matters not listed on this agenda. Participants are encouraged to reserve their comments for regular matters listed on this agenda for the time the item is considered by the Committee. Please note that no action may be taken on any item that is not listed
3. 9:15 am (5 min) Review and Potential Approval of Meeting Notes
The Commitee will review and potentially approve meeting notes from July 31, 2020.
4. 9:20 am (10 min) Update from Recycling and Organics Committees on Definitions of “Recyclable” and “Compostable”
Representatives from the Recycling and Organics Committees of the Statewide Commission will report on progress made by each committee.
5. 9:30 am (20 min) CalRecycle Response to Committee Data Requests
The Committee asks CalRecycle to discuss the following data requests:
(1) Overview of existing California laws related to recyclability labeling and claims, primarily focused on labeling of plastic products with the term “biodegradable,” “degradable,” or “decomposable” and the Resin Identification Code (RIC) – Danielle Osborne, CalRecycle
(2) Proposal for Education Program & Update by CalRecycle Office of Public Affairs – Christina Files, CalRecycle
(3) Contamination rates in curbside recycling
(4) Committee requests to CalRecycle for new datasets
6. 9:50 am (40 min) Presentations from External Groups
Presentations from external speakers on reports and activities related to contamination, consumer education and product labeling. (10 minute presentation with 10 minutes for Committee Q&A for each speaker). Invitations for this meeting made to:
(1) Dylan de Thomas, The Recycling Partnership: California portion of “2019 West Coast Contamination Initiative Report” (Published in April 2020).
(2) John Hocevar, Greenpeace: “Circular Claims Fall Flat” Comprehensive Survey of U.S. Plastics Recycling. (Published in February 2020).
7. 10:30 am (15 min) Introduction of Education and Policy Recommendations by Committee
Committee members may introduce recommendations for education and policies for discussion within the Committee.
8. 10:45 am (10 min) Next Meeting, Proposed Meeting Schedule for 2020-2021, and Agenda Items for Future Meetings
Discussion on future agenda items and scheduling of future meetings.
9. 10:55 am (5 min) Meeting Summary and Closing
Closing remarks and summary of goals achieved during the first meeting.
For further information about this meeting, please contact Laura Moreno at firstname.lastname@example.org, (916) 323-5355, or 801 K Street, Mailstop 17-01, Sacramento, CA 95814.
Discussion and action may be taken on any item on the Committee meeting agenda. This notice and agenda, and any available meeting minutes and materials, can be found on the Statewide Commission on Recycling Markets and Curbside Recycling webpage. This Committee is part of the Statewide Commission on Recycling Markets and Curbside Recycling. The time and order of agenda items are approximate and subject to change at the discretion of CalRecycle and the Committee Chair to facilitate the effective transaction of business.
Under Government Code section 11123(a), all meetings of a state body are open and public, and all persons are permitted to attend any meeting of a state body, except as otherwise provided in that article.
Pursuant to Executive Order N-29-20, certain provisions of the Bagley Keene Open Meeting Act are suspended due to a State of Emergency in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Consistent with the Executive Order, this Committee meeting will be conducted by teleconference only. None of the locations from which Commissioners will participate will be open to the public. The public may observe the meeting via live webcast online by accessing the meeting link at Public Meeting Live Webcasts.
Members of the public who wish to comment during the meeting may do so using the Commission’s public participation portal found at Public Comment Portal. When using the Public Comment Portal, please select “Workshop” from the initial drop-down menu. During the live webcast, CalRecycle or the Committee Chair, at their discretion, will apportion available time among those who wish to have their comments read aloud during the meeting. Please note that, due to time constraints written comments should be limited to 500 words or less. It should be noted that, the Commission will be unable to take any action on matters received from the public that have not been placed on the agenda. The Commission will, however, determine whether action on such matters should be scheduled on a future agenda.
Please note that Commissioners who are not members of this Committee may be attending this meeting only as observers, not as participants.
Persons who, due to a disability, need assistance in order to participate in this meeting should, prior to the meeting, contact Laura Moreno at (916) 323-5355 (voice), email@example.com (e-mail). TTY/TDD and Speech-to-Speech users may dial 7-1-1 for the California Relay Service to submit comments on an agenda item or to request special accommodations for persons with disabilities.