Market Development Committee of the Statewide Commission on Recycling Markets and Curbside Recycling
Public Notice and Agenda
Date: September 21, 2020
Time: 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Webcast: Public Meeting Live Webcasts
Public Comment Portal
1. 9:00 am (5 min) Call to Order, Roll Call, and Establishment of Quorum
Formal proceedings to bring Committee to order.
2. 9:05 am (10 min) Public Comment Review – Items Not on the Agenda
At this time, any member of the public may address the Committee on matters not listed on this agenda. Participants are encouraged to reserve their comments for regular matters listed on this agenda for the time the item is considered by the Committee. Please note that no action may be taken on any item that is not listed
3. 9:15 am (5 min) Review and Potential Approval of Meeting Notes
The Committee will review and potentially approve meeting notes from August 3, 2020.
4. 9:20 am (45 min) Priorities and Recommendations Based on Material Type and/or Program
The Committee set priorities for materials and/or programs at its August 24th meeting. The Committee will provide policy recommendations to achieve the market development goals of Public Resources Code Section 42005(b):
(1) Increasing market demand for postconsumer waste materials and secondary waste materials available due to California’s source reduction and recycling programs.
(2) Increasing demand for recycled content products, especially high quality, value-added products.
(3) Promoting efficient local waste diversion systems which yield high quality, industrially usable feedstocks.
(4) Promoting the competitive collection and use of secondary waste materials.
10:05 am Break (5 min)
5. 10:10 am (45 min) Presentations from CalRecycle on (1) State Agency Buy Recycled Program and (2) Recycling Market Development Zone Program.
CalRecycle will present information on SABRC and RMDZ and discuss the programs with Committee members who may consider recommendations.
6. 10:55 am (30 min) Presentation from American Forest and Paper Association
AF&PA will provide an overview of its Recovered Fiber programs, with a focus on California and emerging markets.
7. 11:25 am (10 min) Discussion and Response to Previous Public Comments
Committee members may respond to public comments received at the August 24th meeting and referred to the Market Development Committee.
Doug Mancosh (see August 24 Committee Meeting notes)
David Bender and Franco Rossi (referred from September 4 commission meeting)
Committee members may choose what comments read during Agenda Item #2 they would like to respond to at the next meeting.
8. 11:35 am (10 min) Data Review and Requests
Committee to review data provided by CalRecycle as outlined in August 3 and August 24 meeting notes and to request additional data and/or information from Staff.
9. 11:45 pm (10 min) Next Meeting, Proposed Meeting Schedule for 2020-2021, and Agenda Items for Future Meetings
Discussion on future agenda items and scheduling of future meetings.
10. 11:55 pm (5 min) Meeting Summary and Closing
Closing remarks and summary of goals achieved during the first meeting.
For further information about this meeting, please contact Kate Wilkins at email@example.com, (916) 322-2503, or 801 K Street, Mailstop 17-01, Sacramento, CA 95814.
Discussion and action may be taken on any item on the Committee meeting agenda. This notice and agenda, and any available meeting minutes and materials, can be found on the Statewide Commission on Recycling Markets and Curbside Recycling webpage. This Committee is part of the Statewide Commission on Recycling Markets and Curbside Recycling. The time and order of agenda items are approximate and subject to change at the discretion of CalRecycle and the Committee Chair to facilitate the effective transaction of business.
Under Government Code section 11123(a), all meetings of a state body are open and public, and all persons are permitted to attend any meeting of a state body, except as otherwise provided in that Article.
Pursuant to Executive Order N-29-20, certain provisions of the Bagley Keene Open Meeting Act are suspended due to a State of Emergency in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Consistent with the Executive Order, this Committee meeting will be conducted by teleconference only. None of the locations from which Commissioners will participate will be open to the public. The public may observe the meeting via live webcast online by accessing the meeting link at Public Meeting Live Webcasts.
Members of the public who wish to comment during the meeting may do so using the Commission’s public participation portal found at Public Comment Portal. When using the Public Comment Portal, please select “Statewide Commission Comment” from the initial drop-down menu. In the Comment Audience dropdown menu, please select “Market Development Committee”. During the live webcast, CalRecycle or the Committee Chair, at their discretion, will apportion available time among those who wish to have their comments read aloud during the meeting. Please note that, due to time constraints written comments should be limited to 150 words or less. It should be noted that, the Commission will be unable to take any action on matters received from the public that have not been placed on the agenda. The Commission will, however, determine whether action on such matters should be scheduled on a future agenda.
Please note that Commissioners who are not members of this Committee may be attending this meeting only as observers, not as participants.
Persons who, due to a disability, need assistance in order to participate in this meeting should, prior to the meeting, contact Kate Wilkins at (916) 322-2503 (voice), firstname.lastname@example.org?(e-mail). TTY/TDD and Speech-to-Speech users may dial 7-1-1 for the California Relay Service to submit comments on an agenda item or to request special accommodations for persons with disabilities.